Monday, February 11, 2013

One Hundred and Forty...


140 is somewhat of a magic number for the patch... It's what ought to be get-able provided all the residents, winter and summer visitors are ticked, provided there's good passage movement (especially waders on the river) and provided there's a good sprinkling of local rarities. Quite the challenge though and one that I've yet to achieve. Closest I got to it was in 2010, when I managed 139.. one shy! This has got me thinking... how far off am I at the moment... or to put it another way, how closely does this year's tally so far, match the golden year of 2010? Here's how it compares: 2010 species (list as it appeared at the time) are shown in yellow; 2013 species I have so far and that I got in 2010 are in green and species I've got this year that I didn't get in 2010 are in pink.


BNGrebe, L Grebe, GC Grebe, Cormorant, G Heron, L Egret, M Swan, Greylag, Canada, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal, Pochard, Tufty, Ruddy, M Harrier, Buzzard, R Kite, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine, G Partridge, Pheasant, W Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, Avocet, LR Plover, R Plover, Lapwing, G Sandpiper, Co Sandpiper, Redshank, Greenshank, Blackwit, Curlew, Whimbrel, Snipe, J Snipe, Woodcock, BH Gull, C Gull, H Gull, LBB Gull, GBB Gull, Med Gull, Glaucous, YL Gull, C Tern, Feral Pigeon, S Dove, C Dove, Woodpigeon, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Little Owl, SEO, Swift, Kingfisher, GS Woodpecker, LS Woodpecker, Skylark, S Martin, H Martin, Swallow, M Pipit, P Wagtail, G Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Wheatear, Stonechat, Whinchat, S Thrush, M Thrush, Redwing, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, L Whitethroat, Sedge, Reed, Gropper, Willow, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, G Tit, B Tit, C Tit, LT Tit, W Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Magpie, C Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Raven, Jay, Starling, H Sparrow, T Sparrow, Chaffinch, Brambling, Linnet, L Redpoll, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin, Bullfinch,Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting... Knot (121), Dunlin (122), Sanderling (123), Spotted Flycatcher (124), Green Woodpecker (125), Turnstone (126), Garganey (127), Common Redstart (128), Tree Pipit (129), Golden Plover (130), Ruff (131), Pink-footed Goose (132), Cetti's Warbler (133), Goldeneye (134), Tawny Owl (135), Firecrest (136), Water Pipit (137), Goosander (138), Iceland Gull (139)... Smew, Bittern, LEO, Brent Goose



So, what's my best guess for 2013. Black-necked Grebe would have been, up until last year, a guaranteed patch species... but not any more. Little Egret I'll get. Ruddy Duck probably not as they've pretty much been shot locally. Marsh Harrier... if I spend enough time on the river I should get a cream-crown moving through at some point. Peregrine plus the various sandpipers and plovers... yep, reckon so. Avocet, maybe. Blackwit, again if I spend enough time on the river. Snipe and Whimbrel, yes. Jack Snipe, no, not now. Woodcock, yep if I tramp the Snipe Fields soon! Med, Glaucous and Iceland Gull... probably the former, probably not the latter two. Cuckoo, yes. SEO...only if one's about now...and I've not come across one. Tawny Owl, yes. Little Owl... be very lucky. All the warblers bar Cetti's is a yes... though I may have to work for Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler. Chats and Wheatear, yes. Martins, Swallow, Swift... yep. Tree Pipit, Spotted Flycatcher, Common Redstart, Firecrest and Water Pipit are not annual on the site, so probably not. Likewise Knot, Sanderling, Turnstone and Common Tern... but then again, with me staking out the river... maybe they WILL prove to be annual... but Garaganey is hit and miss. SO, I reckon 124 when I plug the gaps... add a sprinkling of this and that...and I'll sit somewhere between 125-130. That's my guess... would be happy with that. As for the river itself, I have no idea... I'd like to make the 100 species... but I think that's seriously pushing it!




No comments:

Post a Comment